Belkacem Chikhaoui holds a Ph.D in computer science from University of Sherbrooke (Canada) and was member of the DOMUS and PROSPECTUS laboratories at the University of Sherbrooke. After his doctoral studies, he joined the Intelligent Assistive Technology and systems Lab (IATSL) at University of Toronto (Canada) as a postdoctoral research fellow. Before joining the TELUQ University, Belkacem Chikhaoui worked as data science researcher at the Computer Research Institute of Montreal. He is currently assistant professor at the Science & Technology Department of the TELUQ University and he is a researcher in the LICEF research center. He is also an adjunct professor in the Department of Computer science at the University of Sherbrooke.
His research interests include data mining, machine learning, artificial intelligence, big data, social network analysis, recommender systems, and mobile computing.
- Postdoctoral fellow, University of Toronto, 2016
- Ph.D, University of Sherbrooke, 2013
- M. Sc. University of Sherbrooke, 2009
- Computer science engineer, University of Boumerdes (Algeria), 2004
- Data Mining
- Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Social Network Analysis
- Big Data Processing
- Recommender Systems
- Mobile Computing
Publications & Presentations
This section shows the documents (if any) that are available in R-libre, TELUQ's open access research publication repository.
Journal articles (refereed)
Chikhaoui, Belkacem; Bing, Ye, & Mihailidis, Alex (In Press). Aggressive and agitated behavior recognition from accelerometer data using non-negative matrix factorization. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12652-017-0537-x
Chikhaoui, Belkacem; Chiazzaro, Mauricio; Wang, Shengrui, & Sotir, Martin (2017). Detecting communities of authority and analyzing their influence in dynamic social networks. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), 8 (6), 82:1-82:28.
Awards & Honors
- 2015: Best Post-doctoral poster award, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute Research Day, University of Toronto. $250.
- 2014: Dean’s honour list, Ph.D studies, Faculty of science, University of Sherbrooke.
- 2013: Recipient of the prestigious NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) Posdoctoral Fellowship at the Post doctorate-level. $40,000 per year (2 years)
- 2011: Recipient of the prestigious Alexander-Graham-Bell NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) Scholarship at the doctorate-level. $35,000 per year (2 years)
- 2011: Recipient of the FQRNT (Fonds Québecois de la Recherche sur la Nature et les Technologies) Scholarship at the doctorate-level (declined). $20,000 per year (2 years)